Nationally Recognized.

Drug Crime FAQ

What You Should Know About Drug Crimes

Drug crimes can lead to life-altering criminal consequences, including fines, incarceration and a lifetime criminal record. You need to take an aggressive approach to your case. Jansen & Davis, P.A., is a long-standing Florida law firm. Moreover, we have a history of successful representation with thousands of acquittals. Our attorneys can give you the fierce representation and personalized approach you deserve.

We urge you to come into our office for a complete case evaluation. Below are some of our most frequently asked questions about drug crimes.

My adult child faces controlled substance charges. What can I do?

As a parent with a child in college or newly in the labor force, you are in a new position. Rather than intervening actively on their behalf, you now can only offer them resources and make options available to them. We encourage you to bring your adult child to our office or to speak to us about how we can support them in the wake of drug allegations. We are also happy to go over their options with them and explain the severity of their situation.

When does a drug crime lead to a felony conviction?

Drug charges vary in severity based on what substance the alleged perpetrator had in their possession, how much of the substance they had, what they intended to do with the substance and whether they have an existing criminal record. If you face charges for possession of a large quantity of a substance, possession of any quantity of a schedule I controlled substance, intent to sell or intent to manufacture, you should reach out immediately.

Is rehabilitation or a deferral an option for me?

Possibly. We can explore several options as a part of your case that may preempt or otherwise eliminate the need for trial and conviction. This will depend on factors like the details of the alleged crime, whether you have a prior conviction and you meet requirements for court-approved programs. First-time offenders, such as college students, are often very good candidates for this route.

Can the police search my house or car without a warrant?

The police are prohibited from unreasonable search and seizure by the United States Constitution. This is typically taught as the need for a warrant. However, most police searches and arrests are conducted based on “probable cause,” which requires the police to have a compelling reason to believe that a crime is taking place.

Additionally, police are allowed to search your property if they have your consent. When police ask to enter your home or search your vehicle, you should always say no or ask for a warrant. Once you give permission, anything they find may be used against you.

Probable cause does have limits. If the police search your home or property without probable cause, without a warrant and without your permission, they may be violating your rights.

What do I do if they offer me a plea?

A guilty plea may be a good option in your case, but you should never accept one without getting qualified legal advice from an attorney with experience. Call our office at 850-641-8739 before you do anything.